2

'Can I have the seat?', she asked reluctantly. She had a confused face. 'Of course.' I said as I tried hard not to blush. Why is my code showing error? What should I do? Did I miss a semi-colon? Did I miss her looking at me. I stopped coding, my mind wasn't in it.
'Are you new here?' What am I asking? I sound so dumb. She smiled though, I felt relieved. 'I am selected for the summer internship offered here in computer science. I have my interview in an hour. I am nervous.' What? Computer Science. Something's common. From the moment I first looked at her till now I tried to venn diagram our possibilities to have a match and here it is, CS. Was I destined to choose this college, this particular stream and sit exactly here so she could come sit beside me? I started talking to myself in my head. I had this habit, who else would I talk to, if not me.
She was silently eating as if trying to remember every algorithm ever discovered. She looked scared. Should I help? Maybe, I can. Why not? 'Do..you..want some..um.. help?', I said in a voice that was no more than a whisper. 'Um..? Oh, yeah maybe!' I wonder what goes on in her mind.
We spent 40 minutes together. I helped her as much as I could, as long as I could. I wanted her here, I wanted her to be selected. I wanted her to marry me. 'Thanks! It was nice meeting you. Bye.' She came closer. Was she going to kiss? She threw her plate in trash bin and waved a bye.
I remember every little detail like it was just yesterday. It's been years now, nothing's same. Just her goodbyes. They were always cold and calm. Like a gentle wave kissing the shore; and then going away. Coming again.
There's no wave to come back and kiss the shore. Silent and numb. I wait. Has her goodbye changed too? Will she ever come back?
©ruminativeminds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1

3